Current health policy on carers
Monitoring NHS performance on carers
The Government will include an additional £400m over 2011-15 for carers in the allocations of Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) and any successor body such as Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs). The NHS Operating Framework 2012/13 requests that PCTs publish their plans and budgets regarding support for carers by 1st September. New NHS money for carers
How well PCTs (or CCGs) perform in their support for carers will be measured against the NHS Outcomes Framework. The Outcome Framework for 2012/13 contains an indicator specifically relevant to carers (indicator 2.4), and it is near certain this indicator will be in each year’s Outcomes Framework for the foreseeable future.
NHS Outcome Indicator 2.4 - The health-related Quality of Life for carers
This will be measured using the GP Patient Survey on a bi-annual basis. All people surveyed will be asked:
Do you look after, or give any help or support to family members, friends, neighbours or others because of either -long-term physical or mental health/disability, or -problems related to old age?
They will then look to see how those who answered yes to that question, answer the following five questions. This will give results for the health-related Quality of Life for Carers:
1. Mobility: Do you have no problems in walking about, some problems or confined to bed?
2. Self-Care: Do you have no problems with self-care, some problems washing or dressing yourself, or are you unable to wash or dress yourself?
3. Usual activities (work, study, leisure): Do you have problems performing your usual activities, some problems with these or are you unable to perform these?
4. Pain: Do you have no pain or discomfort, moderate levels, or extreme levels?
5. Anxiety/depression: Are you not anxious or depressed, moderately so or extremely so?
- News:NHS Consitution recognises carers as partners in care
- News:Landmark inclusion for carers services
- Health and Wellbeing
- Carer's Strategy 2008-18
- Recent developments in health
- A Checklist for Primary Care Trusts and Strategic Health Authorities
- Good practice in strategic development
- National Carers Strategy 2008