The role of the pharmacy carers champion includes:
- attending carer awareness training
- attending Carers’ Champion meetings, a maximum of twice a year
- maintaining and refreshing your Carers Notice Board or other information point for carers within your pharmacy
- displaying and maintaining supplies of carers’ leaflets and, where possible, posters in your pharmacy
- identifying yourself to customers as a Carers’ Champion by having your name displayed on your Carers’ Notice Board and wearing a Carers’ Champion badge or sash
- co-ordinating carer referrals and other initiatives relating to carers
- reading Carers Champion E-bulletins and brief colleagues.
Skills and knowledge
- enthusiasm and motivation for the role
- basic understanding of carers’ needs or a willingness to learn
- empathy for carers.
A Carers Champion is not expected to be an expert on ‘carers issues’ or provide carers with one-to-one support.