It would help me if my school understood [the] pressures at home...with extra help I could achieve better grades.Young carer
To ensure the effective management of the school's provision for young carers, it is crucial that each school's senior leadership team (SLT) identifies a member of staff who will act as a Young Carers School Operational Lead in the school.
This member of staff should understand young carer issues and be clearly identifiable to pupils, families and staff.
What is the role of the Young Carers School Operational Lead?
As part of their wider role within the school. the Young Carers School Operational Lead should:
- Manage the school's provision for young carers and their families on a day-to-day basis.
- Act as the main contact for young carers and their families in the school.
- Advise and support school staff about how to identify and support young carers.
- Be the contact point for external agencies, such as the school nurse and local young carers' service,and feeder/linked schools.
To find out more about the role of the Young Carers School Operational Lead download Step 4 Introducing a Young Carers School Operational Lead
This step is taken from Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-Teaching Staff. The steps from this guide are designed to be used in order.
This tool supports schools by setting out the actions that need to be carried out at an operational level to ensure the effective identifcation and support of young carers in schools.
Schools will be at different stages in the journey to implementing support for young carers and to enable Young Carers Operational Leads to prioritise, these actions are categorised into three categories:
- The basics
- Building on the basics
- Best practice
What to do next
Once you have a Young Carers School Operational Lead in place, go Step 5: Acknowledging Young Carers in Principal School Documents.
- Who are Young Carers?
- Young Carers and their Education
- Young Carers and School
- Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff
- Young Carers and Bullying
- Young Adult Carers and College
- Young Adult Carers and University
- Young Adult Carers - Employment and Training