When I found out about her family situation I suddenly understood when she was often late...I was amazed at just how well she had done but frustrated that we as staff had not known.Teacher
Whether your school has been developing systems to identify and support young carers over many years, or is developing or just starting to develop its provision for young carers, a key next step to using this Step-by-step Guide is carrying out a baseline review.
By reviewing your school's current provision for young carers, you will identify strengths, weaknesses and priorities, and agree actions to be taken forward.
What guidance is available to support schools to carry out this review?
Step 2: Reviewing your School's Provision for Young Carersprovides introductory information about:
- The key members of staff to involve in this review
- The tools available to support schools to review its provision for young carers
- How to achieve best practice when reviewing provision
This step is taken from Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-Teaching Staff. The steps from this guide are designed to be used in order.
The following tools have been developed with school staff to support you to review your provision:
- Step 2, Tool 1: Baseline Review template
- Step 2, Tool 2: A template proforma for making recommendations to school leaders
- Step 2, Tool 3: How to gather young carers' views about your schools provision
- Step 2, Tool 4: Gathering attendance, attainment and progress data -primary schools
- Step 2. Tool 5: Gathering, attendance. attainment and progress data-secondary schools
- Step 2, Tool 6: Survey to assess levels of school staff understanding and confidence in meeting young carers' needsstep_2_tool_5_gathering_attendance_attainment_and_progress_data_-secondary_schools.docx
What to do next
Once you have secured the commitment of your school leaders, go to Step 3: Securing commitment of school leaders.
- Who are Young Carers?
- Young Carers and Education
- Young Carers and School
- Supporting Young Carers in Schools: A Step-by-step Guide for Leaders, Teachers and Non-teaching Staff
- Young Carers and Bullying
- Young Adult Carers and College
- Young Adult Carers at University
- Young Adult Carers - Employment and Training