The Department of Health and Social Care funded Carers Trust to develop these training resources, which support a wide variety of professionals, including volunteers, from:
- Education, health and social care statutory sectors.
- Children and young people’s services including youth workers.
- Young carer services.
- Voluntary and community sector organisations.
- Faith organisations.
The resources will help professionals to understand young carers, and how an offer of support can be made to them and their families, to reduce excessive or inappropriate caring.
The training covers:
- Defining who young carers are and the challenges they face.
- Different types of young carer roles.
- Nature of tasks that young carers carry out.
- Understanding the extent of young carer involvement: nationally and by area.
- How you may be able to identify who is a young carer.
- Understanding young carer issues, and potential barriers to their achievement.
- Different models for identifying young carers.
- Barriers to young carers seeking support.
- Guidance and advice on how to approach an initial conversation with a child, or parent, in an appropriate and sensitive way.
- Guidance and advice on who else to involve when, and how to involve them in a sensitive manner that is appropriate for the child and their families.
- Recognising appropriate safeguarding issues in relation to young carers and guidance on how to address these.
- Understanding of confidentiality issues.
- Guidance and advice on key local stakeholders to involve.
- Where to find local support and services to signpost young carers.
- Resource library of tools and templates.
- Securing commitment from participants to take action.
- Case Study 1
- Case Study 2
- Case Study 3
- Sample Certificate of Attendance
- Young carers quiz
- Videos about young carers
The training can be delivered in one day, or in modules, for example over a series of team meetings.
Carers Trust worked with four Carers Trust Network Partners to develop and deliver these resources in face-to-face training in spring and early summer 2018 to over 220 people:
• Carers Bucks.
We will also deliver a webinar.
Please email our Policy team with any feedback about the materials and let us know how you have used them.