As a child a young carer has the right to:
- a childhood
- have an education
- be healthy
- be heard, listened to and believed
- be protected from physical and psychological harm
- be consulted and fully involved in discussions which affect their lives.
- have privacy and respect.
Further detail can be found in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
A young carer has a particular right to:
- request an assessment to see what help and support they and their family need
- choose the amount of care they receive
- be protected from excessive or inappropriate caring that impacts on their health and wellbeing
- information and advice.